Sensory Friendly Science: Autism Awareness Day
Free with Admission map
Welcome all explorers!
Join the Museum of Life and Science and UNC TEACCH as we celebrate sensory friendly science for all! From 10am to 5pm, Museum exhibits and experiences will cater to families with children and adults with autism. Enjoy all indoor and outdoor exhibits in a relaxed, lights up, sounds down atmosphere.
- Sensory friendly train rides all day
- Hands-on demonstrations in The Lab
- Cool-down areas and materials, as well as visual supports, will be available
- Local organizations onsite with resources for ASD from 10am to 3pm including:
- ARC of the Triangle
- Miracle League of the Triangle
- UNC TEACCH
- Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development
- Alliance Health Care
- UNC Best Buddies
- UNC SPARK
- Duke ID Lab
- UNC Autism Research Center
- Marbles Kids Museum
- NC Autism Society
- Autism Society TONKA Truck in Gateway Park
- Carolina Hurricanes
Presented in conjunction with UNC-TEACCH.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Autism Awareness Day?
A special day-long event that caters to families with children and adults on the autism spectrum and includes access to both our indoor and outdoor exhibits. All visitors are welcome to attend and learn more about living with autism.
When and where is it happening?
Sunday, April 7, from 10am to 5pm at the Museum of Life and Science.
Is there an admission fee? Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
Museum members are admitted for free; non-members pay our current admission rate. Tickets will be sold at the Admissions Desk during the time of the event. No advance ticket purchase is available.
What types of resources are available to support my child's enjoyment of this event?
Our guests may use our social narratives, activity systems, cool down kits, and noise cancelling headphones. Feel free to ask any staff wearing a blue “Helper” button where to find these resources or if you have other needs. UNC TEACCH Autism Program staff and volunteers, our event partners, will have resource tables in the lobby.
Other helpful hints:
- Cool-down areas and visual supports will be available throughout the evening.
- No advance registration required, but feel free to let us know you’re coming through our Facebook event page. And be sure to share with your friends!