Sensory Friendly Science: Friday Family Night
A special evening event for families with sensory processing challenges
Friday, July 13, 2018 from 5:30pm to 8pm
Enjoy an evening of science discovery together at the Museum of Life and Science. Starting at 5:30pm, the Museum will open exclusively for visitors with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other related sensory challenges and their families.
- Access to all indoor exhibits
- Our most popular outdoor experiences: Butterfly House, Dinosaur Trail, Farmyard, and Hideaway Woods
- Climb aboard the Ellerbe Creek Railway for a sensory-friendly train ride.
- Food for purchase from Sprout Café
- Staff and volunteers from UNC TEACCH Autism Program will be on-hand to welcome and assist guests.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Friday Family Night?
A special evening event for families with children and adults on the autism spectrum that includes access to our indoor as well as most outdoor exhibits.
When and where is it happening?
Friday, July 13th from 5:30pm to 8:00pm at the Museum of Life and Science.
Is there an admission fee? Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
Museum members are admitted for free; non-members pay a significantly discounted rate of $8 per person for both children and adults. Tickets will be sold at the Admissions Desk during the time of the event. No advance ticket purchase is available.
What types of resources are available to support my child's enjoyment of this event?
Our guests may use our social narratives, activity systems, cool down kits, and noise cancelling headphones. Feel free to ask staff wearing a blue “Helper” button where to find these resources or if you have other needs. UNC TEACCH Autism Program staff and volunteers, our event partners, will have a resource table in the lobby.
Other helpful hints:
- Tickets for sensory-friendly train rides available for purchase during the event and based upon availability. Train tickets are offered at a reduced rate of $3 per person.
- Cool-down areas and visual supports will be available throughout the evening.
- The outdoor exhibits, Explore the Wild and Catch the Wind, will be closed for the evening so that our animals can get some rest.
- Both Museum stores will be open.
- Our café food truck, Southern Harvest, will offer tasty eats for purchase.
- Friday Family Night is a rain or shine event. However, the train is weather dependent and will not run in the rain.
- No advance registration required, but feel free to let us know you’re coming through our Facebook page. And be sure to share with your friends!