A special evening event for families with sensory processing challenges
Enjoy an evening out—inside the Main Building at the Museum of Life and Science! Starting at 5:30pm, the Museum’s main building will be open exclusively for visitors with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other related sensory challenges and their families. Members receive free admission and guests are invited to take advantage of a special $5 per person admission fee!
The Museum will feature two floors of indoor exhibits in a relaxed, sensory friendly atmosphere. Cool-down areas and visual supports will be available throughout the evening. Staff and volunteers from the University of North Carolina TEACCH Autism Program will be on-hand to assist guests.
- Animal encounters led by Museum educators
- Access to all indoor exhibits
- Snacks and drinks available in Elements Museum store
- Staff and volunteers from UNC TEACCH Autism Program will be on-hand to welcome and assist guests
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Sensory Friendly Friday?
A special evening event for families with children and adults on the autism spectrum that includes access to our indoor as well as most outdoor exhibits.
When and where is it happening?
Friday, February 1, from 5:30pm to 8:30pm at the Museum of Life and Science.
Is there an admission fee? Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
Museum members are admitted for free; non-members pay a significantly discounted rate of $5 per person for both children and adults. Tickets will be sold at the Admissions Desk during the time of the event. No advance ticket purchase is available.
What types of resources are available to support my child's enjoyment of this event?
Our guests may use our social narratives, activity systems, cool down kits, and noise cancelling headphones. Feel free to ask any staff wearing a blue “Helper” button where to find these resources or if you have other needs. UNC TEACCH Autism Program staff and volunteers, our event partners, will have a resource table in the lobby.
Other helpful hints:
- Cool-down areas and visual supports will be available throughout the evening.
- Both Museum stores will be open.
- No advance registration required, but feel free to let us know you’re coming through our Facebook event page. And be sure to share with your friends!