Prism: A Celebration of Pride in STEM
June 26, 10 am – 3 pm
Included with admission
Join the Museum of Life and Science for our Pride month event! All are welcome to explore our 84-acre campus as we celebrate diversity.
- Storytime, art activity, and book giveaway (while supplies last) with The Rainbow Collective for Change at 9:30 am (Members only!) and 1 pm
9:30 am book: Love in the Wild by Katy Tannis
1 pm book: And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell
- We are featuring Durham Drag Queen Stormie Daie as our Super Scientist in The Lab! Join Science with Stormie at 12 pm and 1 pm with a special musical number about the wonders of the water cycle at 2:30 pm + find her out and about on campus throughout the event!
- Make your own pronoun or Museum button in TinkerLab
- Snap a photo with the greatest mascot in the world, Wool E. Bull from 12 pm – 1 pm
- Info and activities with the Pauli Murray Center, the Duke Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity, the LGTBQ Center of Durham, and more
- Join our very own Pride Parade around Gateway Park and Hideaway Woods at 11 am and 1:30 pm! Stop by the Creation Station in SoundGarden before the parade to create your own flag and noisemaker
- Meet the Durham Police Department’s LGBTQ Liason and learn about their Safe Place program
- Enter to win a copy of Seeing Science by local Durham artist and illustrator, Iris Gottleib
- Learn about color science from Museum staff through DIY Newton’s discs and a giant bubble station
- See examples of iridescence in butterfly wings and hear diversity in insect society during Pop Up Insect Encounters throughout the day in the Magic Wings Butterfly House